Sunday, March 19, 2017

WorldMapPortal experience the world in VR

I remember as a kid, my parents and teachers use to show me maps of the world and globes to show me what the world is like. However, besides a bunch of green lands and blue sea, there was nothing exciting or engaging to look at.

WorldMapPortal provides much more than just knowing where the country is located at. It offers a Virtual Reality experience so that kids and even adults can feel like they are actually there. I think it allows kids to be a lot more engaged in the country and the world around them then just showing them where it is on the map. Some may argue that it will keep them at home and discourage them to get out and experience the world. However, I think the contrary, I think this would encourage them to actually go the place and experience it allowing them to explore and learn more.

Children will be exposed to actual cultures, people, landscapes and monuments. Moreover, for people who may not be able to physically visit the place, this idea can open up many doors for them to be able to experience the place without being there in the future.

This application also doesn't require a lot of new technology hence it would be low in cost and affordable for any common household. If this app is inexpensive, I think it is quite worth it as it provides some quality family time and experience. This app is also designed for group use so a parent or teacher can actually take their children on a VR trip in a safe environment.

Moreover, this app provides educational games on top of the Virtual Reality experience so that kids and adults may learn while exploring different places around the world. It is like having a tour guide with you as you travel around. The learning aspect of this application helps it make exploring even more fun for kids.

Room for improvement: I feel like this idea could be expanded so that even more places could be visited or maybe even streets and roads by collaborating with something like google maps. Perhaps include audio with it to make everything that much more real.

Bibliography:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gptree/worldmapportal-the-first-mixed-reality-map?ref=category#

No comments:

Post a Comment